How is the HotelTechScore Calculated?
The Hotel Tech Score scoring algorithm is predominantly based on customer ratings so these are by far the most important metric to focus on (quantity of reviews, average ratings and review recency) but it also factors in other quality signals including company resources, partner recommendations, integrations and more.
One of our core values is transparency and we will always be 100% open and transparent with how the HT Score is calculated. We also keep a detailed log of all changes and improvements so you understand the thought process for any changes (which usually arise from feedback from the community).
How it Works
Step 1: Raw HT Score
Your raw HT Score is calculated based on the most important (and most heavily weighted) variable, user reviews
- 🤝 Profile trustworthiness: Research has shown that users trust profiles on review sites with 25 reviews. Reach this milestone to max out your points for this variable (👀 See in dashboard)
- 👍 Average satisfaction ratings: The HT Score aggregates your average ratings for likelihood to recommend, ease of use, customer support and return on investment which are each weighted equally. The better your averages, the higher your HT Score. You can see your product's average satisfaction ratings in the vendor dashboard across Likelihood to Recommend (out of 10), Ease of Use (out of 5), Customer Support (out of 5), ROI (out of 5) (👀 See in dashboard)
Step 2: Not Enough Reviews or Recent Reviews Penalties
The HT Score then checks for review quantity and recency calculates relative scoring penalties (if minimums aren't met)
- ⛔️ Minimum review threshold penalty: The min review threshold essentially says, for relevant products within your category with sufficient feedback (30 reviews), what is the category average and have you met it? If so, you get full points for this criteria. If not, you will receive a penalty for not having a sufficient amount of reviews to be fairly compared with other top products in the category. You can see the minimum review threshold for a given product right when you login to your vendor dashboard (👀 See in dashboard)
- ⛔️ Review recency penalty: The SaaS world changes on a week-to-week basis so a review from last year likely does not give consumers an accurate representation of today's product, service and company. To ensure that companies have fresh content for users, a penalty is applied and an alert is posted on profiles who have fewer than 10 reviews in the trailing 6-months. To make sure your score isn't impacted, make sure you have at least 10 reviews in the trailing 6-month period (~1-2 reviews/month on average) (👀 See in dashboard)
Step 3: Quality Signal Bonus Point Variables
Additional quality signals are then factored in as bonus points to the scoring algorithm:
- 👏 Customer Advocates Bonus: Become one of the top 3 most reviewed products in your category (aka have the most customer advocates). Become the most reviewed product in your category to max out this bonus. (👀 See in dashboard)
- 🌏 Global Reach Bonus: Scaling to, and maintaining, a global presence is resource intensive and requires strong product market fit, experienced leadership and strong business fundamentals each of which are strong success indicators. Hotel Tech Report's audience is also global and therefore the probability of best-fit matches for users increases for companies with a global presence. Get 5+ reviews from 7 or more countries to max out this bonus with points milestones at 3, 5 and 7 countries. (👀 See in dashboard)
- 📞 Certified Support Bonus: Customer support is one of the most critical decision factors when hoteliers are selecting new vendors but is also one of the most difficult to assess in the buying process. Companies who have opened their systems and invested into tools and processes to help their clients succeed and have achieved HTR's GCSC Customer Support Certification earn additional points. Achieve the Level IV certification to max out this bonus with points milestones at Level I, II and III. (👀 See in dashboard)
- 🤝 Partner Recommendations Bonus: Partner recommendations are a strong quality indicator and vote of confidence from industry experts that speak to the product, team and company. Get 15 or more partner recommendations to max out this bonus with points milestones at 5 and 10 recommendations. (👀 See in dashboard)
- 🔌 Integrated Vendor Bonus: Integrations are one of the most critical elements to increase tooling efficiency, time savings and the ability to leverage data while reduce redundancies, manual entry and disparate data. Become the product with the most verified integrations to max out this bonus. (👀 See in dashboard)
- 👬 Company Resource Bonus: Having more resources means a company has more to invest in their product, R&D, customer support and growth. Since many companies' funding rounds are not publicly available or they are funded by cashflow, number of employees serves as a proxy for resource availability. Points milestones earned as your company grows from a startup to enter the growth stage after 15 employees and as you mature to enterprise scale after 150 employees (👀 See in dashboard)
- ⏰ Company Staying Power Bonus: When choosing technology vendors, hoteliers are looking for a partner that will be around for the long haul. More years in business is a strong indicator of a stable and sustainable company that will be around for more to come. Points milestones awarded as your company survives the startup chasm after 3-years and the as you become an established provider who has shown true staying power to instill long term confidence in buyers after 8-years in business (👀 See in dashboard)
Step 4: Curved Relative to the Top Provider in the Category
Scores are then normalized and curved at the category level. Remember, the Hotel Tech Score is a way to take all of the feedback and thousands of data points from users and boil it down into one simple number to help buyers be able to quickly skim the site, and more specifically a category, and find the best tech for their hotel based on customer reviews and quality signals like integrations, partner recommendations and company resources. After steps 1-3 are completed, the HT Score then looks for the product with the highest score and curves the rest of the products in the category based on the leading product with the leading product scoring 100/100 as the top choice in the category based on the HT Score variables and quality signals.
Head to your vendor dashboard to get personalized tips to improve your reputation, ranking and HT Score
Have any questions or feedback?
Just like you, our community of top hotel tech vendors, we value feedback so don't be shy! If you have ideas of how you think we can improve the Hotel Tech Score, please let us know via the on-site live chat.