If you haven't already, please make sure to understand HTR's verification process which offers hoteliers several easy ways to verify that they are real users (ex. 1-click verification link, Linkedin profile, logged in screenshot, recent invoice, etc).
These processes are in place to ensure that:
- ...the content on HTR is valuable, helpful and trustworthy for buyers
- ...vendor reputations are protected by ensuring accurate and legitimate product reviews from real users
- Reasons that reviews can get rejected
- How to track review statuses and rejections
- How to get unverified reviews verified
- What are pending reviews and how long can they be pending for?
1. Reasons That Reviews Can Get Rejected
If one of your reviews isn't published within 72-hours of being left, it means that it got rejected. We offer 5 forms of verification and multiple opportunities but if the hotelier fails to complete any of them, the review is rejected by HTR. Here are the potential verification failure/rejection scenarios.
a) If the user used Linkedin as their verification method BUT the hotel they said they work at doesn't match their current employer on Linkedin
- If this happens...they receive a rejection email saying we weren't able to verify them and include a link to upload a logged in screenshot or a recent invoice to get their review verified
b) If the user chose to verify with their work email BUT instead entered a personal email...
- If this happens...they receive an email saying we weren't able to verify them and include a link to upload a logged in screenshot or a recent invoice to get their review verified
c) If the user chose to verify with their work email BUT didn't click the verification link...
- If this happens...the user will receive a reminder email to verify 24-hours after leaving their review (if still not verified). Then after 72-hours the review will be rejected and they will be sent the rejection email with additional easy verification options
d) If the user bypassed the minimum length requirement with fake or filler text...
- In order to ensure that reviews are helpful for buyers (and justified/fair for vendors), hoteliers must provide basic star ratings in their review as well as meet the minimum content length. The minimum is 150 characters which is not long (about a Twitter post...takes about 1-2 minutes) but ensures that the user has at least some perspective and experience to share with users (to ensure high quality content) and is able to justify/contextualize their quantitative ratings for vendors (to ensure feedback is accurate, justified and helpful feedback that can be used to improve the product or service). The review form will not allow submissions below this length and will automatically turn fields red, block submission and prompt the reviewer to at least meet the bare minimum.
- If this happens...and a user bi-passes the minimum required length with fake or filler text, the review will be rejected and the reason will be 'insufficient content-did not meet minimum required length'. Premium Members who have access to the review manager can request an update from the user to add more context via the 1-click review updating feature
2. How to track review statuses and rejections
If a reviewer fails to pass any of HTR's several easy verification methods, their review will be rejected and cannot be published until verification is provided to ensure that the hotelier is a real user.
- Basic/free members: Basic members do not have access to the automated review manager but you can (and should) setup your own open, click and conversion tracking in your review outreach whether you run it through your email account (eg. gmail), email marketing (eg. Mailchimp) or CRM (eg. Salesforce) tools to be able to track who has left reviews and cross reference to see if they have been completed and published. All users are provided 5 different easy verification options as well as 3-reminder emails automatically through HTR but no further emails will be sent after the 3rd reminder to verify.
- Premium Members: The automated review manager in your vendor dashboard has automatic open/click, followup and conversion tracking so you can launch campaigns with no setup and easily see who has left reviews, who hasn't and a detailed history of customer interactions right in your dashboard. You can also see any rejected reviews and have the added benefit of a 6th manual verification option to easily trigger an alternative verification method (more info below).
3. How Premium Members can trigger additional verification requests
In the Premium Review Manager navigate to Reviews-->Left a review:
What are the emails the user will receive when manual verification is triggered?
When you manually trigger verification via the vendor dashboard you will select whether the user has a professional email or not to verify that they work at the hotel they said they work at:
If the user HAS a professional email...they will receive the below email where they just have to reply to HTR to verify that it is their email address and that they did in-fact leave the review
If the user DOES NOT have a professional email...they will receive the below email where they will be offered additional verification options including: logged in screenshot, recent invoice or a photo of their business card
4. What are pending reviews and how long can they be pending for?
How can I find out if my company has pending reviews that need further verification in order to get published?
Basic members can reach out to customers to ask if they left a review yet and if it was published to the site. Premium Members can see their pending reviews in the Premium Inbox tab of the vendor dashboard shown below:
What happens if there is still a review pending after 72-hours?
After 72-hours, that failed verification will be rejected and the hotelier will receive an email offering additional verification methods including uploading a logged screenshot or a recent invoice for their hotel. If the hotelier doesn't respond with further verification, their review will remain rejected and will not be published.
We offer one additional verification method for Premium Members who want to manually verify a client of theirs by completing the client verification form.